Monday, December 8, 2008

Snow Day - Dec 7, 2008

Sunday brought a rare novelty. I biked and skiied in the same day and in the same place! Craving some exercise, I got up early before church and headed out to Nose Hill on my bike for a quick spin. The hill was bare of snow save for a few icy spots in the snow. It was a cool morning, but just about the right temperature for December biking.

Towards the end of my ride, I noticed a few scattered snow flakes fluttering about. I didn't think much of them, untill....



Once I got home and had showered, I noticed that the snow intensity was increasing. In fact, it was really coming down!
This is what our home looked like by the evening.


The street was covered in a layer of soft packed snow!


Here is the view from where I am right now.

When Erin and I got home for the evening, I took the opportunity to live out a dream I've had for quite some time. I hastily put on my ski gear, walked a few paces out of the garage and skiied over to the hill down the street. It was powder-licious! There was about 20cm to play in. The hill is really not much to scream about (maybe 20-30m long), but it was worth it. I went up and down about 5 times. Getting up was a bit tougher than I figured because my poles would go right down to the grass and not provide a whole lot of support.

It was a crazy day in Calgary. I really love this part of the world. If only we got dumps like this more often:)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Trevor - it seems that I have found your adventure blog! (Google is a good thing :P)
I'm glad that you got to do two of your favourite activities in one day - yay Calgary!
Cheers,
Christine